What is milling?
Milling is a processing method in which a cutting tool is rotated at high speed to remove metal into the desired shape.
In general, the process of cutting a metal material using a tool is called “cutting”, but cutting can be divided into two types, “lathe processing” and “milling”, depending on the cutting method.
First, in “lathe machining,” the outer shape and inner diameter of a cylindrical workpiece are machined by applying it to a fixed cutting tool while rotating a round workpiece. It processes such as drilling a hole in the center, threading, and grooving can be performed.
On the other hand, in milling, a cutting tool is rotated at high speed and applied to a fixed workpiece. Workpieces of any shape can be machined as long as they can be fixed to the workbench.
General-Purpose Milling Machine
It is a type that performs a series of operations manually.
The advantages are low cost, processing can be started immediately (no need to develop or input programs), and it is easy to handle small-lot custom-made production. Disadvantages include the fact that the skill and mistakes of the worker can easily affect the accuracy, and the worker must be constantly working with the machine.
Compared to general-purpose machines, the special-ppurpose milling machine has the advantages of being able to perform more complex processing, stabilizing the accuracy, and not having to keep working with the machine all the time. The disadvantage is that the cost is higher than general-purpose, and it takes time to acquire and develop knowledge of operation and programming.
Milling can be finished in various shapes depending on the tool used. The four most commonly used tools are face mills, end mills, slot mills, and flat mills.
Mainly used tools
- face mill
- end mill
- groove milling
- flat milling cutter
A large number of blades (tips) are attached to the circumference, and they can be rotated at high speed and translated to flatten the surface.
Since it is the most commonly used cutting tool in milling, there are face mills of various sizes.
If you want to mill a wide flat surface, you can mill it all at once by using a face mill with a large outer diameter.
Therefore, it is necessary to select not only work efficiency but also the size of tools that can be used with the machine when processing products.
It is a vertical cutting tool resembling a drill bit, mainly used for cutting flat surfaces.
Since the area that can be milled is smaller than that of a face mill, it is useful when milling small parts.
At first glance, it may be mistaken for a drill bit, but end mills are characterized by sharp edges on both sides of the tip.
What is CNC turning?
CNC turning, as it is known, is an abbreviation for Computer Numerical Control, which determines the way of programming and definition of methods and forms of production of cylindrical parts in equipment, such as the lathe.
Turning is capable of cutting and shaping various materials, such as aluminum, iron, and even wood, with extreme precision and quality. The programming of the defined commands is done through computer software, connected to the machining machine.
Learn All about CNC Turning
Have you heard about cnc turning? Know that this is a program for mechanical engineering equipment used in precision machining. It has computer numerical control and is used during the production and molding processes of parts, such as shafts, cones, pins, and balls, among others.
It is composed of two bases that have two axes (x and y) coupled to them. They are responsible for giving the dimensions of diameter and length of the parts that will be manufactured.
To start the production process, the parts are placed on fixed nuts that are on a plate on the central axis of the equipment, known as the spindle. This attachment point provides space for larger pieces to be fitted, ensuring that all of them have their geometries fully developed.
What programs are on a CNC lathe?
In general, we can say that a cnc lathe is a computerized numerical control, that is, a numerical control that allows the control of several machines, being essential mainly in lathes and machining centers for parts.
A CNC lathe program consists of the following characteristics:
- Header:It is a sequence of mandatory codes, where each command has its unique characteristic;
- Initial profile:Raw material for the parts;
- Final profile:Finished pieces;
- Cutting data: Cuttingspeed (VC), plate rotation (RPM), movement feed, and cutting depth;
- Definition of tools:The choice of tool is determined by the raw material that will go through the machining process;
- Canned cycles:Facilitates CNC lathe programming. The programmer only informs the final profile of the part, while the canned cycle will be responsible for roughing the part until reaching its final profile.
Advantages of CNC
As we have seen so far, the CNC lathe is a program for machines and mechanical equipment that automatically manipulate manufacturing tools and parts, through computer programming, thus executing the manufacture of products for different applications in the industry.
But do you know the advantages of this programming on machines and how they can help you?
So enjoy and check it out below:
- Fast production:Using turning, it is possible to acquire agility in the preparation of the equipment, which makes the process easier and increases production;
- Allows you to work on different projects:The cnc lathe is easily adapted to different projects that the industry needs, this is due to the optimized cutting parameters and high productivity;
- Easy program change:Operators can easily correct actions during the production process, so parts can go as planned at the end of the operation;
- Higher productivity:As CNC lathes have high rotations and high speeds to work with, production time will be much lower;
- Technological:Finally, we cannot fail to mention its technology, which in the first place, has numerous advantages in the production process and ends up being totally effective.
Find the Best Company for CNC Milling and Turning
With cnc turning, any robust raw material gains the desired shape, to meet the most different demands of the market, especially the industrial one, contact us.